Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Throw Your Title Away

If you threw your title away, would others still seek you for influence - or are you depending on your title to define you?

How many of us, if we are honest, equate the rank or title we hold in our organization as the definition of whether we lead or not? This has been my definition for a long time, and still can be sometimes, if I am honest. I think that I need a positional rank to lead from, that my influence comes because of my title. I wrestle with wanting a title that gives my name rank, prestige and honor. Although it is true that our titles do say something to others about what we do, it should not, by itself, define our leadership (mode of influencing others). What if you threw your title away? Would others still see you as a leader? In other words, would others still look to you for guidance, direction or influence?

I received a phone call tonight from someone who I know very well. I have a relationship with this person and we have grown to trust one another over the years. He sought some advice from me as how he should handle a situation. I shared my heart on the matter and encouraged him in a direction. I have no positional authority over this person, he is not 'in my charge' so to speak, but yet he sought to be influenced by me. I seek influence from others (in other words, I seek to follow others), not just people who hold a higher rank than I, although these people who do are often in my speed dial for guidance and direction. The thing that holds my desire to seek out influence and follow others has to be more than just a title, it has to be that they are trustworthy and willing to have a relationship with me. It dawned on me that leadership, that is, the process people use to lead, goes beyond our title. If I am only seeking a title to define me as a leader, I have missed the mark.

Peter Northouse (2010) defines leadership as involving influence. Leadership "is concerned with how the leader affects followers. Influence is the sine qua non [essential ingredient] of leadership. Without influence, leadership does not exist." I want to influence others well based on who I am as a person, whether I have a position that gives me power (more capacity or potential to influence others) or not. I often ask myself why this can be such a fight sometimes! I realize how much our culture, and my being influenced by culture, clambers for titles and position. I want to follow people who influence me, not just because they hold a title over me, but because I trust them and because I have a growing respect and relationship with them. However, sometimes I have to accept that because someone does has positional authority over me, I need to submit and follow them, whether I personally like them or not. I too will not always be liked by others who I am charged to influence (my father would probably agree with me on this)!

I was speaking with a person at work today who I respect greatly. He works to maintain the cleanliness of our buildings and I would follow in a moments notice. Why? His example. I respect him. He has led (influenced) me in ways that he will never know because of his practical example of consistently caring for the work that he does. His title may be janitor, but I see him as a great leader.  Again, if you threw your title away, would others still seek you for influence - or are you depending on your title to define you?

References

Northouse, P. (2010). Leadership: Theory and practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

3 comments:

  1. Josh I love this concept. So well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the concept of the original 12 disciples..'I seek influence from others (in other words, I seek to follow others).' Also to follow means we have to practice humility. Humility takes away our pride which brings us back to our knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyler! You reminded of the importance of following the right influences. We know it is following Christ, but I am often taken by how easily I can fall to being influenced by the wrong things.

      Delete